As we strive to navigate through this new experience of being Catholic, I want to thank you for your cooperation, understanding, and patience. I know many of you are suffering and struggling without being able to be physically present on our parish campuses. God is with you – be not afraid! Your faith encourages and inspires me and is very pleasing to our Lord. I personally am feeling more and more hope each day. Here is an UPDATED list of some ways we are still “being church” even with closed doors. The information below replaces whatever I sent out a few days ago.
- Video Masses & Devotions (You can watch them live at facebook.com/stjoeshelby or watch them later on flocknote):
- Sat: 5pm Mass (English)
- Sun: 12:15pm Mass (Spanish)
- Mon-Fri: Noon Angelus followed by Mass
- Mon-Fri: 3pm Holy Hour & Divine Mercy Chaplet
- Mon-Fri: 4pm Vespers & Benediction
- Fri: 6pm Stations of the Cross
- Whenever you need a holy hour: https://parishioners.flocknote.com/note/6383012/video/292585225
- Tips for Mass & Devotions: As you watch Mass and other devotions on your screens, please kneel and stand (as able) at the appropriate times. It is good practice to continue to dress nicely for Mass in your home, continue to fast prior to Mass, place a candle on each side of your screen, and put a crucifix or holy icon nearby.
- You are also ALWAYS welcome, as long as there is not a travel ban, to come and sit in your car in one of our church parking lots so as to be closer to our Eucharistic Lord in the tabernacle. God loves your devotion, zeal and perseverance.
Service & Community
- We will encourage parishioners to reach out via phone, skype, zoom or other means to remain in contact with our sick and shut-in parishioners and other neighbors. Please call any elderly parishioners who sit near you at Mass or who you know in any other way! I am personally calling all parishioners 70 and older.
- We will continue to offer support through our St. Vincent de Paul Society to those who are struggling and in need of the basic necessities. The help line is (317) 395-7027. Thank God for SVdP!
- We will continue to promote online giving. Make a donation or signup for regular online giving here: https://www.stjoeshelby.org/online-giving/
- We will maintain meatless Fridays as a way to unite ourselves to the poor and to pray for those who are struggling.
- For those who are able, we suggest supporting local family-owned businesses/restaurants by purchasing gift certificates to be used after this crisis has passed. In the case of restaurants, please consider purchasing carry out.
- Billy Cross will be sending out faith formation assignments/activities to all REP parents and school parents.
- Confirmation classes will be online.
- We will continue with weekly Elements of Faith series and will add an additional shorter version, Elements 2.0.
- St. Joe School will continue with e-learning, except for next week (Spring Break). We will also be using Zoom!
- Please consider using FORMED at http://formed.org (Parish code: K37RPD) to watch Catholic material. This is a GREAT GREAT resource that will give you hope and bring you closer to Jesus. There are LOTS of kids’ shows on FORMED, too.
- We will email coloring pages for each upcoming Sunday Gospel and the coloring book pages for the Stations of the Cross to engage your younger children.
- Fr. Mike’s E-Ligion (e-learning for his religion class) will be shared via Flocknote and Facebook for the edification of all parishioners.
You are in my prayers and in my heart.